Last night I finished the second sleeve, then pinned the arms to the body pieces and tried the jacket on. Carefully. Pins are sharp.
It was a tense moment and I was greatly relieved to discover that it fits pretty well. I knew it would be short in the body, but it is very cropped looking and I am glad that I decided to add a couple of inches to the sleeves otherwise it would look small on me.
The hood/collar decision has been made. I knew as soon as I put it on and looked in the mirror. It is exactly the style of a hooded top, especially when the zip is put in. Also, the front has too much detail and it needs a hood to dress it down a little. The Welsh Sheep Wool that I'm using is thick so I have decided to do a plain stocking stitch one rather than the rib of the pattern (which I have read bad things about) and I am using an existing hood on a cardy that I love as a template in the hope that this one will sit in the same way.
This is my plan anyway. I am sure that any moment now I will start to regret embarking on a vast expanse of plain stocking stitch, but for now I am enjoying not having any cable twists, patterning or shaping to worry about.